SWI Class

I have been using Structured Word Inquiry in my Grade 5 classroom for seven and a half years.  I didn’t wait to fully understand everything before I took the plunge.  I just jumped in and learned along with my students.  I knew who to ask when I was stuck, I took  online classes when I could, I have read many blogs, talked with others using SWI, and have read books.  My students have loved the fact that I don’t have all the answers.  We learn from each other.  It is very collaborative and joyful!

During the entire time I’ve been using Structured Word Inquiry, I’ve kept a blog.  I’ve also recorded a lot of the activities my students and I engaged in.  Sometimes we prepared lessons to take to the Grade 2 classrooms.  Sometimes my students worked in small groups.  Sometimes the work was individual.  Sometimes we created videos to teach others what we were learning.

In this class, Bringing Structured Word Inquiry into the Classroom, I share the activities that worked really well and give you lots of ideas to take back to your classroom.  I will focus on the guiding principles and the 4 consistent questions of Structured Word Inquiry.  We will walk through several investigations so you get familiar with the tools you and your students will use.  We’ll talk about choosing words to investigate and how to provide lots of practice with identifying a word’s structure.  I include videos of my students so that you can see how they respond to this work.

The course is 4 episodes long.  Each episode is 90 minutes.  The cost of that 4 episode class is $80.  I am also offering the option of extending the class by one episode for an addition $20.  In the 5th episode the participants have the opportunity to ask even more questions.  It may also become focused on walking through an impromptu investigation or setting up a specific activity for use with children.  The topics will be up to the participants.

UPCOMING CLASS

*******************************************************************************

Wednesday, October 9; 4:00 pm Central Daylight Time
Wednesday, October 23; 4:00 pm CDT
Wednesday, October 30; 4:00 pm CDT
Wednesday, November 6; 4:00 pm CDT
Wednesday, November 13; 4:00 pm CDT (optional class)

Friday, October 25; 6:30 pm Central Daylight Time
Friday, November 1; 6:30 pm CDT
Friday, November 8; 6:30 pm CST
Friday, November 15; 6:30 pm CST
Friday, November 22; 6:30 pm CST

If these dates or times don’t work for you, please send me an email so I know you are interested.  Include dates and/or times that will work for you.  Please include your time zone.  I don’t schedule a class until I know people are interested in signing up.

To register:

1.  Submit payment through my Paypal link which is listed below.  Include the email you want me to use when contacting you.
  2. I will respond and make sure I know which schedule you are interested in.

Specifics:

Each class will be 90 minutes in length. All times posted are in Central Standard Time.  Use this link to help convert to your time zone.

Cost is $80.00 for four 90 minute classes,  (or $100 with 5th episode option) paid through Paypal at this link:  PayPal.Me/MaryBethSteven .

New Option:  Those enrolling in this course have the option of a 5th 90 minute class for an additional $20.  In that fifth episode, we will work through participant questions and walk through investigations initiated by the participants.  It will not be preplanned.  This fifth session gives participants the chance to think through activities or investigations with my guidance and support.

If dates offered do not work for you, please email with your preferences.  I will do my best to coordinate and offer another session. Contact email teachinfifth@gmail.com

Video of my students:

Here are a few videos of my students and what they learn with SWI: