SWI Class

I have been using Structured Word Inquiry in my Grade 5 classroom for six and a half years.  I didn’t wait to fully understand everything before I took the plunge.  I just jumped in and learned along with my students.  I knew who to ask when I was stuck, I took  online classes when I could, I have read many blogs, talked with others using SWI, and have read books.  My students have loved the fact that I don’t have all the answers.  We learn from each other.  It is very collaborative and joyful!

During the entire time I’ve been using Structured Word Inquiry, I’ve kept a blog.  I’ve also recorded a lot of the activities my students participated in.  Sometimes we prepared lessons to take to the Grade 2 classrooms.  Sometimes my students worked in small groups.  Sometimes the work was individual.  Sometimes we created videos to teach others what we were learning.

In this class, Bringing Structured Word Inquiry into the Classroom, I intend to share the activities that worked really well and give you lots of ideas to take back to your classroom.  I will focus on the guiding principles and the 4 guiding questions of Structured Word Inquiry.  We will walk through several investigations so you get familiar with the tools you and your students will use.  We’ll talk about choosing words to investigate and how to provide lots of practice with identifying a word’s structure.  I have videos of my students so that you can see how they respond to this work.

UPCOMING CLASS

*******************************************************************************

Currently there is interest in a Tuesday evening (6:00 pm Central Standard Time) class.  Email (teachinfifth@gmail.com) if that would work for you as well.

If you are interested in this class, email (listed below) to suggest times and days that work for you.  This class meets 4 times  (90 minutes each).  I will then contact you and set something up.  Then I will advertise to invite others as well.

******************************************************************************

If these dates or times don’t work for you, please send me an email so I know you are interested.  Include dates and/or times that will work for you.  Please include your time zone.  I will be scheduling several more classes before summer, and will continue scheduling classes on into the summer.

To register:

1.  Submit payment through my Paypal link which is listed below.  Include the email you want me to use when contacting you.
  2. I will respond and make sure I know which schedule you are interested in.

Specifics:

Each class will be 90 minutes in length.
All times posted are in Central Standard Time.  Use this link to help convert to your time zone.

Cost is $80.00 for four 90 minute classes, paid through Paypal at this link:  PayPal.Me/MaryBethSteven .

If dates offered do not work for you, please email with your preferences.  I will do my best to coordinate and offer another session.

Contact email teachinfifth@gmail.com

Video of my students:

Here are a few videos of my students and what they learn with SWI: