Grammar Class

Getting a Grip on Grammar      

Been a while since you learned about and thoughtfully practiced grammar?  Wondering how to brush up on your own understanding in preparation for working with students?  In this three session class we will look at several things:

~We will discuss the need for grammar instruction.

~I will introduce Michael Clay Thompson, whose ideas about teaching grammar profoundly changed the way I have taught grammar for the past 12 years.

~While sharing the interactive book I use with fifth graders, we will discuss the four areas of grammar used in 4Level Sentence Analysis.  Those are Parts of Speech, Parts of the Sentence, Phrases and Clauses.

~I will show videos of my students analyzing sentences and looking at the relationships between parts of speech in a sentence.

~We will discuss practice and assessment activities.

Getting a Grip on Grammar

Sign up for the following:

Saturday, May 20th,  9:00 am CST
Monday, May 22nd,  5:00 pm CST
Wednesday, May 24th,  6:00 pm CST
Central Standard Time

Specifics:

Each class will be 90 minutes in length.
All times posted are in Central Standard Time.  Use this link to help convert to your time zone.

Cost is $60.00 for three 90 minute classes paid through Paypal at this link:  PayPal.Me/MaryBethSteven .
If dates offered do not work for you, please email with your preferences.  I will do my best to coordinate and offer another session.

Contact email:  teachinfifth@gmail.com

Links to some videos of 4 Level Sentence Analysis:
Beginning this year, I am moving to a model that includes 9 Parts of Speech.  Instead of including articles under the heading of adjectives, I will consider them determiners.  Part of what we will discuss in the class is which other words are determiners and why it makes sense to include determiners as a part of speech.  In the videos below, I referred to articles as adjectives and some determiners as possessive pronouns.  I am no longer doing that.

Save

Save

Save