About Us

The Class:
We are a curious group of fifth graders living in central WI.  We love many things about school.  As you read our blog pages and comments, you’ll find out what kinds of things we love.  Enjoy!

The Teacher:
I have 21 years of experience in a fifth grade classroom (22 if you count the one year I was actually a fifth grader).  I prefer the kinds of projects that incorporate skills from several academic areas, and when possible topics that are in the everyday lives and environments of the students.  I also believe that students need practice throughout their K-12 education with thinking on their feet and presenting their work to an audience.  While I often have students present things to their classmates, this blog will be an opportunity for my students to present their work to an online audience, receive feedback, and then to respond to that feedback.

Gardner’s Theory of Multiple Intelligences has long been my guide in choosing classwork choices and study options.  Having students aware of this theory and then having them identify their own strengths among the seven Intelligences that Howard Gardner names, allows each student to be less inclined to compare him/herself to his/her peers.   It also explains why each student needs to develop a unique list of effective study techniques.

Another area of specific interest to me over the last ten years has been how the brain learns.  I have taken several courses and attended workshops dealing with this topic.  My plan is to demonstrate to students that things like repetition, use of rhythm, use of color, and amount of information all affect the likelihood of being able to store the information in their long term memory.

11 thoughts on “About Us

1. G’day Mrs Steven and students,

Thanks for registering for the September 2013 blogging challenge. Make sure you visit the blog every week starting 8th September, when the first challenge is published.

If you want a reminder sent to your email each week, use the “Subscribe by email” on the right sidebar of the challenge blog.

Also make sure you visit blogs from other classes around the world with similar ages – see list in blog header.

Feel free to add the 2013 badge to your blog.

Miss W or tasteach – challenge organizer

2. For my Civil War battle, Stones River and Murfreesboro come up with different beginnings and endings. I think there is a first and a second battle. Can you please help me?

-Molly

3. Oh, Mrs.Steven. When I was sick, I was playing around with some of the settings, and Kyra’s blog name owlgirl1202 all showed up.Do you want me to show you at recess how to do it?

4. This site is awesome! I wish we had done something like this back when I was in your class. 😀 I hope to see everyone at the elementary school tomorrow!!!
    ~ Emma B

• Thanks Emma! We are enjoying this new way to share what we do. I’m glad you made a comment, and I hope you make some more in the future! My current students would love your opinion on their blog pages or on our main page posts!
      Thanks!
      Mrs. Steven

5. I really like using color, rythym, and repetition in our grammar books. I also like that when we learn, we learn with more fun than other places because we use fun things. -Saphire:)